Friday, June 3, 2011

Writers Choice Revision

"Until I can take pride in my language, I cannot take pride in myself" (Anzaldua pg. 82), to me this statement is false. Anzaldua backs this statement up by saying, "I am my language" (Anzaldua pg 82), and "Until I am free to write bilingually and to switch codes without having always to translate, while I still speak English or Spanish when I would rather speak Spanglish" (Anzaldua pg. 82). In no way do I believe that my language has a connection to my pride of self. I feel that pride of self should come from things I do, ways I help, how I act. The English language is not a factor of pride to me; it is a factor of convenience because it’s the main language of where I live.
"as long as I have to accommodate the English speakers rather than having them accommodate me, my tongue will be illegitimate" (Anzaldua pg. 82). Throughout the text of this essay Anzaldua backs up these feelings. She speaks of how in different situations/ places/ or with different people she has to speak different languages/ dialects, many of which are based around the English language. I agree with this statement partially. I see how it would be frustrating not being able to speak your native tongue all the time in order for others to understand you. By speaking Spanish in a primarily English country I don't believe the language is illegitimate, but less convenient. Last summer I went to Mexico for a couple of weeks, and I went through somewhat of the same situation, just on a smaller scale. There were times and places that I could speak English and everything would be fine, but a majority of the time if I didn't speak Spanish I would not have success in what I was trying to accomplish.
"Pocho, coultural traitor, you're speaking the oppressors language by speaking English, you're ruining the Spanish language." (Anzaldua pg. 79) I can see both sides of this argument having valid points. On the negative side one is angry that the accuser can't see that one can speak multiple languages. On the other side the person is angry that another would stop speaking Spanish to start over with English.

No comments:

Post a Comment