Friday, June 3, 2011

Revision Piece Introduction

            Befriending Barbie” by Shari Cauldron and “A Secret Society of Starving” by Mim Udovitch. Community helps different people find new things about themselves as well as new interests. In these stories they show how community affects different characters and the way it plays into their day-to-day life.
About five years ago I became friends with a new group of “metal heads”. This group has taught me many new things about myself. This group of people is what I believe to be my very first community that I actually felt a part of, the Metal community. If it wasn’t for this community that I speak of, I really don’t think I would be the person I am today. Before I joined this group of people, I was trying way too hard to fit in and be cool with everyone, and now that I look back at these memories, I realize that how hard I was trying was actually working against me. This group was the exact opposite of how I viewed life. My life made basically an 180-degree turn. I’ve learned more about myself over these 5 years than any time prior. I have learned about myself are some of my favorite things that have happened to me. This community helped me learn that I do not care about how others perceive me. People’s perception of me once was one of the most important things to me. Now that I can truly allow myself to be me all the time, I am so much happier. Another thing that I have learned about myself through this community is that I have talents, which I would have never before imagined. This community has taught me that I am a musician and a better one than what I could have imagined ever being. I’ve learned that I am competitive with just about everything, probably more than what I should be. I am very thankful for my community and everything that the “metal heads” have helped me learn about myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment